Geographical Origins / Growth
Both Kratom and Cannabis have been used for centuries as a natural healing medicine for pain relieve among other things.
- Originates from Central Asia and Subcontinental India
- Cannabaceae Family
- Hemp fibers are produced from the tall cane like variety of the plant; THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana comes from the shorter and branchier variety of the plant.
- Originates from Southeast Asia
- Rubiaceae (Coffee) family
- Found in the leaves of the tropical Evergreen tree
- Height of the actual tree can be anywhere from 4-16 meters high
Chemical Make up
If Kratom and Cannabis have similar effects then they must have a very similar composition, right?
Their chemical makeup and the way they react in the body differ quite a bit. For starters, take a look below and you’ll notice that Kratom contains an extra molecular compound in the mix that cannabis doesn’t have.
Do you know which one it is?
- Contains 100+ cannabinoids
- Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are the main active ingredients known to produce psychoactive effects and/or positive healing benefits.
- It is the Trichomes which grown on the outer parts of the marijuana flower which contain the active ingredients know from producing the psychoactive effects
- Contains 40+ alkaloids
- Mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitagynine are the main active ingredients that are responsible for the psychoactive effects experienced by the herb
- Factors affecting the percentage of active ingredients are the type of strain and the maturity of the plant
Cannabis now-a-days is most often thought of as a recreational drug that’s sole purpose is to give you the best high however, many fail to remember that just like Kratom, the herb contains an incredible amount of healing power.
One of the reasons for the heightened popularity of Kratom has been due to its claimed ability to act as a way to help users fight again opioid addiction. Kratom provides an effective approach to pain relief and has been shown to harbor great healing effects. In addition, many users have praised the herb for treating a variety of conditions from chronic pain, seizures, depression and much more. Traditionally used as a way to fight fatigue and increase productivity of workers, the herb’s power to allow the user to focus clearly and concentrate on tasks requiring a great deal of accuracy is incredible.
Cannabis on the other hand, although having similar pain relief and calming effects to Kratom, is a substance that acts to numb and blur your focus rather than allowing you to zone in and concentrate on a specific task. If you’ve ever heard yourself saying, I feel completely useless when I’m on weed or coming off the high, then Kratom may be a herbal you want to consider switching over to. At low dosages it acts as a sedative while at higher doses you’ll notice more stimulant like effects.
As many of you probably know already, the most common way to consume marijuana is by smoking it. When cannabis is smoked it moves directly from the lungs into the bloodstream and then to the brain.
Kratom on the other hand is typically consumed by ingesting in the powder form. Most commonly made into a tea, added to beverages or taken in a capsule. For more information on the various ways to take Kratom, you can refer to this page, ‘The Different Types of Kratom’
Mechanism of Action
- Stimulates the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain. These are responsible for responding to sources of pleasure
- The THC in cannabis mimics Anandamide, a chemical found in our brain, acting by unlocking receptors in the brain to release chemicals like dopamine
- Stimulates the mu and delta opioid receptors
- Influences activity at norepinephrine and serotonin receptors
The Interaction Between Kratom & Cannabis
Curious to know whether the two herbs make a good mix or whether you should steer clear?
You can most definitely take Kratom and Weed together however it is important to understand the interaction between the two before doing so. When taken together, they synergize the effects of each other, heightening your experience.
Important info to note before combining Kratom & Weed:
- Marijuana in high doses will mask the effects of Kratom
- In high doses marijuana is a sedative therefor if taken with a low dose of Kratom, which will also have sedative effects, the overall effect will be an increasingly sedative one
- When combining both herbs, always use a lower dose of weed and a higher dose of kratom
- Kratom should be taken first, followed by your marijuana dosage 1-2 h later
Need An Overview?
Common Consumption Method
Differences In Effects/Experience
Similarities in Effects/ Experiences